Saturday, August 30, 2008

Airsoft

I just finished running around in the woods shooting at people.
Airsoft is a sport that uses replicas of military firearms to shoot
starch BB's. The airsoft club was holding a demonstration to
introduce the sport to new members. There were not many new people
there; I was the only one who had never played before, and there were
several new students who had played elsewhere.

The club has inherited an old wildlife research station in the forest
near the university, and they use that for their games. It was a good mix of
terrain, very similar to the woods that I am accustomed to romping
through. We ran about eight games. I didn't embarrass myself, but
the old-timers had better guns, better camoflage, more experience, and
more knowledge of the terrain, so I usually didn't last too long.

At the ranges we were playing at, I barely felt the BB's through
clothing, and when one hit my cheek it was only a slight sting. I
learned that I am fairly cool under fire. I did not get excited or
jumpy at any time during the game, and I did not lose fire discipline.
I usually stayed with the single-shot semi-auto mode, unless my
target was running around quickly.

I was warned that my back will ache tomorrow morning, but I doubt it.
I have a fairly strong back, thanks to martial arts exercises.

It was fun, and I learned a lot, but I do not know if it will fit my schedule.

No comments: