Thursday, November 6, 2008

Life Is Not Fair

I just found out that I got the highest grade in the class in our
Econometrics midterm.

This is my weakest subject. I don't really understand the material
that well. I didn't study nearly as much as my classmates. It makes
no sense for me to be the top of the class. I had been expecting to
get a low B on the test.

"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift,
nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet
riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but
time and chance happeneth to them all."

A similar thing happened on the Macroeconomics midterm last week. I
got the highest grade, despite being less proficient at the math and
spending less time working. But that one can be explained by my
decision to use an unconventional approach to the problem solving, a
decision that gave me a bad grade on the first Macro midterm.

The only way to make these events appear fair would be to assume that
all of my philosophical musings, meditation, introspection, and
psychological investigation are somehow improving the way that my mind
functions. I may spend less time studying economics, but I spend a
lot of time studying cognitive processes. But that stuff doesn't
really count as hard work; I do it because it is fun and interesting.

No comments: