Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Education Experiment

This is big.  I approve.

Dozens of public high schools in eight states will introduce a program next year allowing 10th graders who pass a battery of tests to get a diploma two years early and immediately enroll in community college.

"We've been tied to seat time for 100 years. This would allow an approach based on subject mastery — a system based around move-on-when-ready."

The new system aims to provide students with a clear outline of what they need to study to succeed, said Phil Daro, a Berkeley-based consultant who is a member of an advisory committee for the effort.

I benefited from something similar but far more selective.   I spent two years in my (high-quality) local high school, then spent my junior and senior years of high school in a residential magnet school that was basically like a small liberal arts college.  After taking those courses, I passed enough AP tests to enter college with 59 credit hours, or one less than the number of credits to be considered a junior.


No comments: