Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Turnips

Earlier, my mom threw a lot of turnip seeds in the garden so she could
eat turnip greens. They grew nicely, producing greens for months.
Recently, she finished off all of the greens and pulled out the plants
to make room for other things. This left a big bag of turnips that
she had no intention of eating.

Because I am a tightwad and I will eat anything, she gave me the
turnips. I chopped them up and threw them in the crock pot along with
a few leftover carrots and some spices. The first attempt was
tolerable. The second, with a slightly different spice mix and a good
dose of vinegar, was better.

However, it occurs to me that I was only able to eat them because I
knew that I could easily eat something else if I felt like it. It was
a matter of choice, not necessity, and that made it bearable. If
turnips were the only food available, or if I had to eat them for more
than a week, I would probably hate them.

No comments: