Thursday, January 29, 2009

Harry Dent Papers

Last week, the department head asked me to go to the special
collections in the library and find a document for a researcher at
another university.

The collection was the papers of Harry S. Dent senior, special counsel
and political strategist for Nixon:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/02/us/02dent.html

My job was to look through a box of papers to find a certain memo
about how the implementation of racial equality in schooling was
affecting the political strategy of the white house. It was
fascinating stuff. Looking through the original documents showing the
workings of the White House was fun.

I found the memo:

And I also found this fascinating little thing, and copied it as well:

I have never seen a more concise and blatant written example of
patronage, corruption, and economic meddling.

No comments: